The LaFayette Woman’s Club was chartered by the General Federation of Women’s Clubs and the GFWC Georgia in 1938.
For over 10 years, the club’s main objective was a Well Baby Clinic in LaFayette. In 1950, the club changed its name to the LaFayette Woman’s Club. Thereafter and through today, the club is recognized as one of the most active civic organizations in the city of LaFayette.
State and district participation has, and is, an important part of the club’s history. Katherine Derrick was state president during the 1986-88 administration. A state award remains in her honor. Other members have served at the state and district levels and participate in the district and state conventions.
The club began its civic participation by creating “Stuff and Such”, a thrift shop to benefit the local community. After the shop closed, the club promoted projects to benefit the Handicapped Children’s Day Camp, foster parents for foreign children, scholarships for Northwestern Technical College and LaFayette High School.
In recent years, the club’s involvement includes the Don Stultz Senior Citizens Day, Annual Veterans Day Program, Hugh O’Brien Youth Scholarship Award, Law Enforcement Appreciation Day, Friends of the Library, the Restoration and Beautification of downtown LaFayette, Joe Stock Park, and the LaFayette Recreation Center. The Club is active in all LaFayette schools and helps with the Walker County Schools Young Author’s Fair and annual Art Show. The club is the primary civic organization in charge of the annual LaFayette Freedom Festival and the annual Reindeer Run. The Reindeer Run benefits the Shop With A Cop program and Makes Christmas Wishes Come True for underprivileged children in LaFayette.
As needs arise, the LaFayette Woman’s Club is first in line to volunteer with arts, educational, public issues, cultural and any other opportunity to better the community.
For over 80 years, the LaFayette Woman’s Club is “MAKING A DIFFERENCE IN OUR COMMUNITY”!!!